Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Please Don't Leave Me


I've been swimming in the sea of bureaucracy today again. About a month ago the social insurance institution of Finland sent me nasty letter calling it quits with me and my social security, because I'm part of the German working world now.  Due to that fact, I'd have to send back my personal Insurance Card and the European Health insurance card and buy myself into the German Health Insurance System!

You can imagine deep this letter made my heart fall. I really panicked as the letter says I'm no longer part of the Finnish social security since 10.6.2010 which to me translates into "We'll take away all your current social security benefits from Finland and you'll have to pay back everything since summer of 2010". Holy crap! I almost pooped my pants and started crying as imagined my life without the 500 euro student loan and how many thousands of euros I'd have to pay back the Finnish Government. Luckily I was wrong.


After a panic phonecall to my mom, who called the Insurance Institution we found out that the Break-Up doesn't concern my student loan and there's a chance to complain about the decision. I've been asking all around German opinions to my new battle and how I could prove the Government to be better off in the Finnish System. The thing is, I have very little against the German Health insurance but it costs to students about 80e per month and my Finnish one a round zero. It wouldn't really pay to work at all, if it means I'd have to spend half of my salary on an insurance I could get for free without working. Sad as it is, I really enjoy my job at the handicraft shop, feel like I'm finally making some improvement and getting friends there too.


This is what I have been doing today. My mom went through a huge googling operation to find out some legal arguments to invalidate the decision and make them concider again. I've been composing an official complainment explaining how I must belong to the Finnish System since my wages are below the German income limit, how I therefore don't have to pay taxes here nor do I then belong to the Social Security System. In a nutshell. Hopefully it's enough. I'm falling behind in my studies and don't really have time for this extra work.

procrastination pictures via weheartit.com
That's that for now. We'll keep our fingers crossed and you tuned into the news of my health insurance battle. Nighty night birdies!

No comments:

Post a Comment