Thursday, February 10, 2011
Immigrant Life
So I told I had some good news to share and here they come. Ladies and gentlemen, prepare yourselves for I am proud to tell you that I have finally found a job!
As some of you know this has been a huge operation and an obstackle here in Germany. I have given around 25 applications (via internet, phone calls, personal visits, friends), done interviews and hours of Probearbeit (= work trial). I have asked in Cafés and clothing/interior design shops, thinking my German and my previous work experience would get me that far. I had signed myself up for the public employment agency, gotten an official work permit, a wage tax card and registered myself as a Hamburg citizen. I have smiled and sweat, started a zillion times over but nothing seemed to work. I had fought myself through the Sea of Bureaucracy yet it wasn't enough to get my ass employed.
I'm still not sure about the reasons. The local students seemed to crab jobs right before my eyes without troubles. Why do they doubt my ability to work? Why do they doubt my liability?
Is it my poor German? Nationality? That I'm not a local nor a student? Insurance problems or taxation? There is no problem as I am an EU-citizen and have taken care of the official papers needed. Whatever the reason, I have now become somewhat of a professional in looking for work. I am not afraid of the process. This trial has given me strenght & knowledge. It left me skeptic & frustrated. I feel like second class sometimes. I'm a good girl with good grades, language skills and experience of life. Why do I get treated like this outside my country?
What did I learn?
When your dream employer after a job interview tells you "Wir melden uns" with a hope-giving smile on their face, it actually means "Wish you a nice life" and you will never hear from them again.
Labels:
bureaucracy,
hardships,
job
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger... Myöhemmin muistelet näitä aikoja ja kaikkia ponnistelujasi kiitollisena!!! Hyvää ystävänpäivää ja lykkyä pyttyn!
ReplyDelete