Friday, January 11, 2013

Herzlich Willkommen

I woke up early today to say goodbye to my boyfriend and head back to Darmstadt alone.
Feeling gloomy in the cold morning I waited for my train trying to pep myself up for the coming weeks of University. I slept most of the way curled on the shabby seats until my journey was cut by a person jumping infront of the train somewhere between Frankfurt and Fulda.

We waited about 2 hours for the emergency personel and police to sort out the... mess. Apparently this happens 3 times a day in Germany according to the Deutsche Bahn statistics. I wonder who she was and why she decided to end her struggle on a sunny Friday morning.

I arrived to my German home much later than intended, which caused me to miss my classes today. My room is untouched but the appartment is a mess and I'm freezing now since the bathroom window is missing. "It just came off" was what I heard from my roomie. The window, frames-and-everything-still-one-piece, is now leaning next to a gaping hole on the wall where cold wind and trash blows in. Supposedly it has been like that for at least a week now. The landlord doesn't answer his phone.

I went to buy food earlier but couldn't put it to the fridge immediately. I had to throw away loads of molded remains of vegetables and milk products and clean away some black fungus growing at the back of the shelves first. After flushing down the sink this greenish strawberry yogurt I decided against cooking. Not that I'd had any space to cook in the kitchen to begin with. I ate 4 cookies to suffocate hunger and felt the hopelessness creeping in with the sinking sun.

What am I doing here?

No comments:

Post a Comment