Monday, December 17, 2012

Rich Kid's Blues


Aaaand here we go again. The explainatory but hopefully a bit more positive this time as I've managed to bring some things together.

Work
I've taken up too much extra work for this Semester due to a defect in brain  a misjudgement. I really thought I've got enough time to get more into my studies and ended up scribling 5 pieces none-the-less of optional courses into my calendar. On top of this I took up a job at the University by becoming a Tutor, a kind of personal assistant, for one of my professors. As if this hadn't been the wake-up call I signed up for becoming an active member of the student council. HA! Allow me to be amused of this overly exaggerated overestimation of my own nerves and talents. WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?! I probably just forgot that I've also got my old job at the handicrafts store. Of course I would've managed everything if it wasn't for that (Notice the heavy irony here.)


Money
Oh yes, the Undying Monster tormenting students around the world. I'm basically financing my life here entirely with the monthly 500 euro student loan, I'm receiving from the Finnish Government since the beginning of my studies. I don't ever have to pay it back, however the downside is that I don't get any support during the holidays, which in the summer lasted about 3-4 months. At the beginning of this Semester I was pretty weak on my bank account, you can imagine. I basically have to save all year to get through those summer months.


Problem this time? Well there's this itchy bitchy condition to the loan: I have to get enough Credit points and show progress in my studies. They want their money's worth ey? Since my faculty is a bunch of artists, we had most of our Spring/Summer Semester's exams after the holidays, in the beginning of OCTOBER. This means that I  received my results and grades for the courses half a year later than expected and the Finnish Studentloan Center interpreted that I'd been slacking off the whole Semester and thus CUT DOWN MY ENTIRE STUDENT LOAN. On top of other Stress, I now had to roam around after my grades, write an explainatory letter to Finland, pray for their mercy and dine porridge and rice for a few weeks before things got settled.


Luckily it was all worth the gray hairs and wrinckles it and I managed to clean my reputation and proof the improvement and hard work I've done in here. I'm now getting paid normally again. Such sudden developments just take a lot of energy, scare the shit out of me and made me realise that my future of studying and living in Germany is entirely in the hands of someone else. I can't afford to go on this current life, no matter how unglamorous, without the Government support. My wages couldn't cover more than my rent.


I feel semishitty for complaining about money when I'm living a dream of so many kids battling with  REAL poverty.  

How'd you like my selfmade pictures this time? I feel good by just holding my camera for a change.

1 comment:

  1. Kivoja kuvia on! :-) lisää vaan! Kiva nähdä kuvia Darmstadtista - olettaen siis, että nää kuvat edes on sieltä? :--D

    ReplyDelete