Friday, January 20, 2012

Talk about Design


We had a super interesting lecture about design today. Our professor had brought some classic items with her such as this Arne Jacobsen chair and Stelton thermos jug, a lovely bird-like object which I've spotted in numerous magazines and shops lately, thanks to the new delicious colours.


I've been circling the safran yellow, orange and lime green birdies for about a year now but been held back by the high prices. Today I was able to get my hands on it and to notice to my great disappointment how the closing lid fails in it's attempt. Funny idea gone wrong. It's impossible to close the beak without an extra "Picnic" stopper. We'll see we'll see. I need a teapot anyways, so maybe I'll go for 0,5l version of the Vacuum jug one day.

the sea

Anyways. This all excitement got me thinking about my relationship to Design and how it differs from my German friends' opinion. What I've learned in here is that no other Nation next to mine starts collecting designer tableware from the age of  15 the latest. I don't know one single Finnish home without Iittala glasses, Arabia plates or any Marimekko patterns in it. Or if you're a Finnish person reading this, can you honestly tell me you have never owned a Moomin mug nor a Mariskooli? Even as a guy, I bet your aunties, grandmas and mother haven't left you with some of that "proper set of dishes". 
  

neighbourhood

Hilarious and wonderous how attached we Finns are to our own design. I bet it's relatively known in Japan as well but why-oh-why do we have to have an Aalto Vase in every building? Does no-one ever wonder how come we seem to know the tableware series, the classic lamps, chairs, jewellry, fabric patterns and their designers by name? Is is just a part of general knowledge in Finnland to know what Jokapoika shirt, Kartio glass, unikko pattern and pastilli chair are and what they look like? Go ahead and test yourself, how many series from any desinger in your country can you name.

 Shortly? I came into the conclusion that Finnish people have this in built hunger and radar for home made design. Cost what it may.

city center

That is what led me to discover the new Helsinki World Design Capital of 2012 muggs from Arabia. You might know or not, but I'm such a sucker for tea cups and coffee mugs of funny and pretty patterns. This everytime  it was love at first sight after I saw the pattern. The series is called "Kotikaupunki" aka "Homecity" and I really think I have to get myself at least the blue and red coloured versions. The prices hang between 15-20 euros by a quick glance at the online market, but like I said: cost what it may. My happiness set of perfect cups is at stake! They'll fit perfectly to my Ahoy Marie twins from Hamburg and even better to my Siirtolapuutarha series from Marimekko Finnland. Google if needed, I'll add photos of them one day?



Pictures from Arabia.fi & google

No comments:

Post a Comment