Phew what a week or two! Being back to school has taken all my energy lately but somehow I couldn't be more thrilled at the moment! There is so much to tell and hype, I don't even know where to start with!
Let's just start by saying that I couldn't possibly be happier than I am right now with Darmstadt and my school. Yeah I know it's not Oxford, Yale or Harward, my Campus is not a castle nor modern art, (infact it's still under construction), but I love it. It's not respectable nor well-known as far as I know, but you know what: who cares. My little-educated-architect-ass might one day make Hochschule Darmstadt the most wanted Uni in the whole Germany!
![]() |
| When I'll make shit like dis |
Maybe I'll take some photos of my Uni for ya noodles next week?
The first introduction weeks should be over by now and the real deal is starting tomorrow with no less that 8 hours of lessons. On the menu we have Modellbau, Tragwerkslehre, Baustoffkunde, Konstruktion and Zeichnen, loosely translated as scale model building, ????, (building) material science, construktion and
I've been shopping this weekend some materials for my studies, already spent about 36e on them and the list still goes on. Something tells me that this choice of studies isn't going to be a cheap one. As architects we need a whole bunch of drawing material from a variety of special pens to papers to rulers to erasers etc. For miniature building we need wood glue, tape, Finnish (yay ^^) cardboard, cutter and a cutting mat or two..
Aaaaaaaaaall which makes me hope my application for Student allowance gets through or I'm screwed!
| okay okay some items were only on my own DIY list |
My second worry is my language problems in German. I noticed last week at the lectures how many crucial words and how much grammar I still lack! The University language is something totally unknown to me, even in Finnish and English, as there are so many abbreviations and technical terms which only appear in context with Uni, your faculty and the school system used. Not to mention the southern accent "Hessisch" and the vocab connected with architecture, I am slowly panicking my fellow weasels! That's why I'm going to attend German classes for foreigners next week, in order to approve my written and oral skills to pull these studies off.
Oh and all you outlaws out there, meaning the non-registered readers, please be so kind as to sign yourself as a member with the Google Friend Connect on the right --> All you need to do is click the "Join this site" and thus make me happy. Believe it or not, it does interest me how many people read That Turnip. I've been getting so much feedback OUTSIDE the blog from people I had no-idea even knew about it's excistence, that's all. Just click it okay?
Random architecture photos from weheartit.com and item photos by me and my wallet.


Noniin hyvä Elli!!!! Voin vaan kuvitella miten itte en pärjäisi olemattomilla saksan taidoillani, ei voi kuin ihailla. Saat suunnitella mulle sitten talon (ja mies saapi sen sitten maksaa, kun musta tulee lastentarhanopettaja 2300 euron hulppealla kuukausipalkalla...)
ReplyDeleteKiitos sinä <3 Mulla on jo kauhea ikävä Suomea ja selväpäisiä, helpommin luettavia ystäviä. Oot aina niin ihanan positiivinen ja tuollaista auringon korviketta ei ole täältä vielä löytynyt!
ReplyDelete