Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Karjalanpiirakka

or "Karelian pasty" in English, is the name of the traditional Finnish product here, we were trying to make. Presenting some of my favourite moments of Summer 2011 at home.


My boy happens to be a big fan of these Finnish pasties and since he had his 20th birthday coming up, I decided to be a good house wife girlfriend and make some for him myself. The difficulty in my miraculous plan was that I've never been the cook for traditional dishes nor did I knew how to create these little rye boats filled with salty rice pudding.


Thus entered my dear mother to the picture and suggested us to contact a colleague of hers: a woman of insane talent in the kitchen. Mervi the Magician came then kindly to give us a cooking lesson of 4 hours on the last day of my stay.

Dazzled by the speed of the hands and the mouth
We baked with a beer bottle and my dough stuck on it like a label
The receipe is easy and the ingredients cheap but holy moly macaroni the baking is hard! I was sweating to make something (paper thin circles to be exact) out of my rye dough but it just didn't work! My sister was a whole lot more succesful and soon evolved to the next level in filling and pluckering the pasties. I was ready to give up and cry, hot tempered as I am, but Mervi kept pushing and helping like a mother hen.

mommy


The Magician made me a new dough and suddenly it started to work out a little better. Turned out, I was the most talented one in the pluckering part and managed to make some really presentable goods. Yay! The result didn't taste as it should've been, as mom had forgotten to salt the rice but hey.. My honhon thought them yummy and baking with my family & friends was a whole lot of fun!

Another friend of mom's also dropped by to see the miracle

New achievement unlocked :----D

So thumbs up everybody. 
Here's some wise words for motivation in new missions!



No comments:

Post a Comment